APS Directive for Algebra 1 in 8th grade
The goal of offering Algebra I in grade 8 is to maintain the advantage of enrichment in mathematics for as many students as can benefit from it. This involves higher expectations for high ability students. These students are expected to achieve more with faster academic pacing.
All qualified students should have access to regular Algebra I in grade 8. However, since Algebra I is the basis for all further study in mathematics, it is important that students have the best possible experience in this course. Therefore, students must be carefully selected. Read more from the APS website.
Algebra 1 at eCademy K8
For the 2023-2024 academic year, we are asking families to secure a recommendation from their student's 7th grade math teacher and then contact the current 8th grade math teacher.
- Carefully consider whether Algebra 1 is right for your student. Successful students
- demonstrate mastery of key competencies identified for grade 7 Enriched or Accelerated Math.
- maintain a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- are exceptionally independent and self motivated.
- Please inquire with your child's 8th grade Math teacher and they will work with the Curriculum Assistant Principal to consider the request.